Located in the sub region known as the Southern Valleys, the Woolshed Vineyard is situated about 5kms north of Renwick. It is our home base in Marlborough.
Here’s a brief summary of the history of the site, which is currently the source for our Single Vineyard Woolshed Sauvignon Blanc and for our Mud House Range Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc (along with a selection of Sauvignon Blanc fruit from throughout the wider Marlborough area).
When European settlers first came to the region, this land, along with many thousands of hectares around Marlborough were converted from wetlands and native bush to grazing for thousands of flocks of sheep. Both the wool and meat were valuable exports for New Zealand to the United Kingdom from the late 1890s.
At the end of WWII the land was re-purposed to help with war efforts. For a short time it was the home to the RNZAF Station Delta. It was part of a collection of seven RNZAF camps established over an area at the delta point where the Wairau and Waihopai Rivers meet on one side, and the Omaka River passes on the other. It included a runway and several camps where new airmen would undergo initial training. It was only operational between June 1943 and October 1944. The Delta was by no means the most popular of stations to be posted to, mainly due to the poor standard of food dished up to airmen there and the primitive living conditions. It was damp and cold in winter, and seemingly remote. (This content sourced with thanks from Dave Homewood copyright). The map below shows the location of the RNZAF Station Delta.
After this short stint the land reverted to farmland and again became a working sheep farm. With the introduction of viticulture to the region in the 1980s the land eventually changed hands and in 2003 was converted to vines. Our current Vineyard Manager, Nev Gane, a fifth generation farmer, was there in the beginning and developed the 100 hectares into what is now our flagship vineyard in Marlborough.
In 2014 we refurbished the smoko room, taking cues from the building’s origins as a working sheep farm (you can still smell the lanolin!). Lightfilled and warm, the building continues to be used as a smoko and vineyard office, along with a space to host international visitors (by appointment) and of course to get our team together for staff events.